Thursday, July 19, 2012, by Matthew Kang
Set on opening the first authentic Austrian restaurant in Los Angeles, chef Bernhard Mairinger launched BierBeisl in the former Beverly Hills La Bottega Marino space back in February. From its minuscle kitchen, the 6'7" chef personally cooks up almost all of the restaurant's dishes. Prior to BierBeisl, Mairinger spent time at Nick & Stefs and the flagship Patina at the Walt Disney Concert Hall where he honed skills now used to prepare new takes on classic Austrian dishes, such as pork roast "carpaccio," veal schnitzel, and unique flavor-infused sausages. For the rest of July, he's offering a free mealto any guest taller than he.
Here now, a few lesser known facts about Mr. Bernhard Mairinger:
1) My shoe size is 13.
2) If I wasn't a chef, I'd be an accountant.
3) My favorite movie of all time is Braveheart.
4) I would love to cook most for Heidi Klum.
5) I hate the culinary term, "86." It's for when an item isn't available anymore but it doesn't make any sense!
6) My least favorite seasoning is Cajun spice.
7) My favorite junk food is Bosna, a Austrian fast food dish that resembles a hot dog, or well made kebabs.
8) My favorite bands are Manchester Orchestra and The Arcade Fire.
9) My favorite drinks are Gin, Sauvignon Blanc, and Ginger Beer with Gin.
10) When I'm at home, I love cooking steak or fish with vegetables from my garden.