Ready in: 1h Serves: 7 Complexity: medium Origin: Sweets and Desserts
12 ½ oz. flour
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. oil
lukewarm water with 1 tbsp. vinegar (as required)
3 oz. breadcrumbs sautéd in 2 oz. butter
4 ½ peeled, thinly sliced apples
2 oz. raisins
1. Work the pastry ingredients on a board into a smooth, easy dough, cover and allow to stand in a warm place for ½ hour.
2. Spread a large soft cloth on the kitchen table, dust with flour and on it pull out the dough. With the floured back of your hand pull the dough, working from the middle outwards until it is paper thin.
3. Cut away any thick edges. Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with fired breadcrumbs.
4. On the breadcrumbs place layer of apple, sprinkle with raisins, cinnamon and sugar. Raise the cloth and roll the pastry up firmly in such a way that the join is underneath.
5. Roll it off the cloth on to a well buttered baking tin. Brush the strudel with melted butter and bake in a medium oven for about thirty minutes until golden brown.
6. Dust with sugar and serve either hot or cold.
Top image: © Österreich Werbung, Fotograf: Wolfgang Schardt