Ready in: 1h Complexity: medium Origin: Sweets and Desserts
5 oz. butter
5 oz. baker’s chocolate
3 ½ oz. castor sugar
8 egg yolks
8 egg whites
2 oz. sugar
5 oz. flour
pinch of salt
1. Beat the butter, chocolate and sugar until fluffy, stirring in the egg yolks one by one.
2. Whisk the egg white, add the sugar and fold carefully into the butter mixture adding the flour as you go along.
3. Butter a cake tin, sprinkle with flour, put in the cake mixture and bake slowly for 1 ½ hours.
4. Turn out on to a cake rack and allow to cool. Glaze the top of the cake with hot apricot jam and cover with chocolate icing.
5. Icing: Bring 7 oz. sugar and 7 fluid oz. water to boil and boil until the mixture candies, then add the chocolate and boil until the mixture is thick, but fluid. Spread this with wet knife over the cake.
Image: © Österreich Werbung, Fotograf: Wolfgang Schardt