Ready in: 1h Serves: 7 Complexity: medium Origin: Sweets and Desserts
1 cup flour
½ cup sugar
2 egg yolks
rind of 1 lemon, grated
pinch of cinnamon
3 ¼ cups finely ground unblanched almonds
¼ cup currant jelly or seedless raspberry jam
2 sticks unsalted butter
1. Blend flour, sugar, grated lemon rind, and spices together on pastry board. Make well in center, cut cold butter into it, and egg yolks.
2. With knife, work ingredients quickly towards center and add ground almonds. Work dough with finger tips, then knead by hand into a smooth dough. Cover.
3. Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Save one-third of dough for lattice. Keep refrigerated. Place dough between two sheets of wax paper.
4. Roll out to fit the bottom of a cake form. With refrigerated dough first make a long roll, about ¼ inch thick, and with it form a border all around the cake. Thinly coat top of torte with currant jelly.
5. To form lattice, make 10 rolls, about ¼ inch thick of different lengths to fit across the torte. Brush border all around with egg wash before placing first 5 rolls, about 1 ½ inches apart, across top of torte, pressing down firmly on border.
6. Arrange remaining 5 rolls crosswise to form lattice. Eggwash lattice. Bake in reheated over (350°) for about 40 minutes until golden brown. Before serving refill lattice spaces with jelly. Dust top with confectioner’s sugar.
Image: © Österreich Werbung/Wolfgang Schardt